Schauenburg ruins

The Schauenburg castle ruin is the name patron of the large community consisting of five districts. The castle was probably built in Franconian times around 600 - 800 AD, when the Hessengau was part of the Franconian Empire. In 1223 the counts of Schauenburg left their castle and bought the castle Wallenstein in Knüll. Later, the Knights of Dalwigk acquired the castle, but soon built the "nuwe Hus vor Scowenburg", a house that still exists today, at the foot of the castle.

After elaborate restoration work, the observation point on the castle ruin Schauenburg offers hikers a wonderful vista.

Opening hours

Freely accessible at all times.


Gemeinde Schauenburg

Korbacher Straße 300
34270 Schauenburg
Phone: +49 5601 - 93250
Fax: +49 5601 - 9325400

» Send Email